Criminal Injuries Claims

If you have been the victim of an unprovoked assault then you may be able to recover compensation through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board (CICB), a government scheme designed to compensate victims of crime.

You could have been an innocent bystander walking along a pavement when set upon by youths mistaking you for someone else. Alternatively, you could have been standing in a queue at a bank when thieves tried to rob it. In more extreme cases you could have been the victim of sexual violence, either at home or elsewhere, or even in a children’s home many years ago.

We will guide you through the process and advise what we can do on your behalf to claim the compensation that you are rightfully entitled to from the government scheme as a victim of crime.

Please note that you must have reported the incident to the police within six months of the assault otherwise your claim is likely to fail and you must have co-operated with them to bring a prosecution against your assailant.

If neither of these occurs, then it is likely your claim may be unsuccessful. In any event, a claim submitted on your behalf must be brought against the CICB within two years of your assault.

However, do not despair. If one or other of these conditions have not occurred then do not give up as it may still be worth your while consulting with us first before you decide not to claim. We can still help you.