For Individuals

What is Meant by an Associated Person

It is only possible to apply for a Non Molestation Order under the Family Law Act 1996 if you are able to prove to the Court that you fall under the category of being an associated person.

This means that your relationship with the person against whom you are seeking the Order must fall within one of the following categories:

  • you have been or are married to each other
  • you are cohabitants or former cohabitants (including same-sex couples)
  • you live or have lived, together in the same household, but not by way of one of you being the others employee, tenant, lodger or boarder
  • you are relatives
  • you have agreed to marry one another (regardless of whether or not this agreement has been terminated)
  • you are parents to a child or he has had Parental Responsibility for the child
  • you are parties to the same family proceedings
  • you have or have had an intimate personal relationship with each other which is or was of significant duration